lunes, 28 de noviembre de 2011

Friday November 25 – Paris Day Two/ Le Louvre/ Aphrodite/ Mona Lisa/ Arc de Triumphe


                API went to the Le Louvre, a great museum of art and other cultural items in Paris. While there we saw the glass pyramids that they use for an entrance area, the sculpture of Aphrodite, and the Mona Lisa. The Mona Lisa is not very big, and some people in our group were disappointed with it but I thought it was cool to see since it is so famous. Also, I saw many paintings that I studied in one of my classes at Kansas State University so I was very excited to get to see those ones in person.
                A fairly big group of us left together from Le Louvre and started to head towards the Arc de Triumphe on La avenida de los campos elíseos. This street had many Christmas shops set up along the sidewalk and it made me feel like it was going to be Christmas soon with the lights and the music and the weather that was much colder than Granada. I think I was missing home a little in that moment and I wanted some hot apple cider but all they have is hot wine. Trevor bought some and it is one of the worst things that I have tasted in my life, I would not recommend hot red wine to anyone.
                Our group became smaller along the walk and ended up Trevor, Kathryn, Scott, Samantha, Valarie, Rachel Woods-Robinson, and me that went to the Arc de Triumphe. We could not figure out how to cross to get to it because it is in the center of about six lanes of traffic but we finally found out that we had to go underground. There is only a stair case up and it happens to be a spiral one so I got dizzy and my left ankle was still in a good amount of pain especially since we had been walking all day. The view was incredible at night, the Eiffel Tower was pretty and it had sparkling lights on it and La avenida de los campos elíseos was pretty with all its Christmas lights. We stayed up there for a good amount of time and we even watched the traffic below for a little while because there are not lines in which the cars have to stay, they just weave back and forth as they need. There were all sorts of almost crashes and there were bicyclists that rode in between the cars, I would never do that in my life. When we decided to go down there was some type of military procession that led to the bottom of the arch from the avenue that we took to get there.
                Kathryn had to Skype her family so her and Trevor went back to the hotel while the rest of us headed towards Le Louvre to go see more of it since our tickets were good all day. We took the metro and had a very hard time for some reason figuring out how to get where we wanted to go. We found the train that we needed and go off at the right spot but now could not find our way out. There were many sortie (exits) around but none of them actually led us outside; one even led us to another gate that we needed a ticket for but we just snuck in behind someone that was going in front of us. We took a moment to circle up and have a pep talk not to freak out and that we could find our way out. After about 15 or 20 minutes of searching we finally found our way to the street. We were all so tired that we needed a break and so we went to a café to get a coffee but I did not get anything because it was too expensive. The others said theirs tasted like dish soap so I am really glad I did not get one.
                At about 8:30 we made it to Le Louvre, there is a different feel to it at night. We went to the Egypt section of the museum because we were told it was a cool place. There were a lot of neat things to see and not enough time to see all since we thought it closed at 10:00 but on Fridays it closed at 9:30.
                After we walked around some more to sight see and we found a crepe stand and I bought a Nutella crepe. They were still hungry so we looked for another restaurant and we ate there as well. They girls wanted to go back to the hotel and we wanted to do more but we were all pretty tired, so we went to bed.

No hay comentarios:

Publicar un comentario